Phillips Ranch Photo Collection


The Phillips Ranch Photo Collection documents the lives of the Phillips Family, one of the early ranchers on the Peninsula. In the late 1880s, portions of the Rancho de los Palos Verdes originally part of the Rancho San Pedro became the property of Jotham Bixby. Harry Phillips was hired by the Bixby Family to manage the Rancho. The Phillips Family ranched, raised cattle and horses and also farmed the area. Many of the photos in this collection are taken in the area that is the Palos Verdes Golf Course.

Pages

Andrew Brydon at the Phillips Ranch, Rolling Hills Estates
Image shows Andrew Brydon, of Brydon Brothers Harness and Saddlery Company, Los Angeles, riding a horse on the Phillips Ranch. The ranch was located near the east end of the area that became the Palos Verdes Golf Course.
Barley thresher on the Phillips Ranch, Rolling Hills Estates
Image shows a barley thresher on the Phillips Ranch in an area that later became the Palos Verdes Golf Course. Several workmen are visible in front of the thresher, with several sacks of barley stacked at right. Built in 1910 as the second home for the Phillips family, the ranch was located in Blackwater Canyon to the northeast of the present intersection of Palos Verdes Drive North and Rolling Hills Road in Rolling Hills Estates., Date Built: 1910
Barley thresher on the Phillips Ranch, Rolling Hills Estates
Image shows a barley thresher on the Phillips Ranch in an area that later became the Palos Verdes Golf Course. Several workmen and two horses are visible near the thresher, with several sacks of barley stacked at right. Built in 1910 as the second home for the Phillips family, the ranch was located in Blackwater Canyon to the northeast of the present intersection of Palos Verdes Drive North and Rolling Hills Road in Rolling Hills Estates., Date Built: 1910
Bean thresher on the Phillips Ranch, Rolling Hills Estates
Image shows a bean thresher on the Phillips Ranch in an area that later became the Palos Verdes Golf Course. Two workmen are visible near the thresher, with a horse and wagon in background. Built in 1910 as the second home for the Phillips family, the ranch was located in Blackwater Canyon to the northeast of the present intersection of Palos Verdes Drive North and Rolling Hills Road in Rolling Hills Estates., Date Built: 1910
Buick on the Phillips Ranch
Image shows a 1914 Buick automobile parked in front of a building on the Phillips Ranch. Built in 1910 as the second home for the Phillips family, the ranch was located in Blackwater Canyon to the northeast of the present intersection of Palos Verdes Drive North and Rolling Hills Road in Rolling Hills Estates., Defective print, possibly from damaged negative., Date Built: 1910
Buick roadster parked at the Phillips "new" ranch.
Image shows view of a Buick roadster automobile at the Phillips new ranch, with a barn, a wagon, and other structures visible in background. The ranch was located in an area that later became the Palos Verdes Golf Course.
Cadillac with visitors on the Phillips Ranch.
Image shows two women, a man and child sitting in a Cadillac parked in front of a building on the Phillips Ranch. Frank Carrell [?] is standing near the passenger's side door, with a picket fence and pepper trees visible in background. Built in 1910 as the second home for the Phillips family, the ranch was located in Blackwater Canyon to the northeast of the present intersection of Palos Verdes Drive North and Rolling Hills Road in Rolling Hills Estates., Date Built: 1910
Eight-horse plow team on the Phillips Ranch, Rolling Hills Estates
Image shows a team of eight horses, known as "Harry Phillips' pride and joy," which were bred and raised on the Phillips Ranch.
Emma Phillips and Harold Thorsen with horse on Phillips Ranch.
Image shows Emma Phillips (b. 1892, eldest daughter of Harry F. Phillips Sr.) with Harold Thorsen (1887-1971) standing with a horse in front of several ranch structures.
Farmhand threshing lima beans on the Phillips Ranch, Rolling Hills Estates
Image shows a farmhand threshing lima beans in a threshing machine on the Phillips Ranch, located in an area that later became the Palos Verdes Golf Course. Built in 1910 as the second home for the Phillips family, the ranch was located in Blackwater Canyon to the northeast of the present intersection of Palos Verdes Drive North and Rolling Hills Road in Rolling Hills Estates., Date Built: 1910
Farmhand with mule-team and wagon on the Phillips Ranch, Rolling Hills Estates...
Image shows a farmhand on a mule-drawn wagon leaving for plowing on the Phillips Ranch in an area that later became the Palos Verdes Golf Course. Several ranch structures are visible in background. Built in 1910 as the second home for the Phillips family, the ranch was located in Blackwater Canyon to the northeast of the present intersection of Palos Verdes Drive North and Rolling Hills Road in Rolling Hills Estates. Harry Phillips Jr. (1889-1980) was the second son of Harry F. Phillips (b. 1867) Senior., Date Built: 1910
Farmhands with mule-team, wagons and threshing machine on the Phillips Ranch,...
Image shows a group of farmhands preparing a mule team to thresh grain on the north slopes of the Phillips Ranch, located in an area that later became the Palos Verdes Golf Course. Several wagons and a threshing machine are visible at right. Built in 1910 as the second home for the Phillips family, the ranch was located in Blackwater Canyon to the northeast of the present intersection of Palos Verdes Drive North and Rolling Hills Road in Rolling Hills Estates., Date Built: 1910

Pages