"An Everyday Crowd at Long Beach, California" ca. 1906

Abstract/Description: Hand-colored postcard image shows crowds walking along the Bath House, Pavilion and amusement zone of the Pine Avenue Pier. The Long Beach Bath House opened on July 4, 1902. The Pine Avenue Pier opened May 27, 1893 and was the first municipal pier built in California. In 1904 the wooden pier structure was replaced with a 40-foot wide, 1,000 foot-long cement and steel double deck, designed by H.C. Holmes. In 1934, the Pine Avenue Pier was destroyed by storm waves. Printed with "2452" next to title in upper right corner. Reverse of split-back postcard printed with "EDWARD H. MITCHELL, PUBLISHER, SAN FRANCISCO."
Subject(s): Bathhouses--California--Long Beach
1901-1910
Piers--California--Long Beach
Pike (Long Beach, Calif.)
Pine Avenue Pier (Long Beach, Calif.)