Chadwick School students, Palos Verdes, California

Abstract/Description: Image shows a group of twelve students standing along side a portico connecting two buildings on the Chadwick School campus. The Chadwick School was started in 1935 in San Pedro, by educator Margaret Lee Chadwick and her husband Commander Joseph Howard Chadwick. Chadwick is an independent K-12 day school, which at one time was a boarding school. It was the first high school on the Palos Verdes Peninsula. Land for the school was donated to the Chadwicks by Frank Vanderlip, Sr., the New York financier who bought the Peninsula in 1913. Fred Roessler, the first mayor of the City of Palos Verdes Estates, donated $100,000 for the construction of the first building. Plot plans and drawings for the original building site including dormitories and classrooms were developed by architects and brothers, Birge M. Clark and David B. Clark.
Subject(s): School children
Palos Verdes Peninsula (Calif.)
1941-1950