Chadwick School main entrance building and parking lot, Palos Verdes, California

Abstract/Description: Image shows view looking north at the east facade of Roessler Hall and main parking lot on the campus of the Chadwick School, located at 26800 South Academy Drive, Palos Verdes. The building was completed in 1938 along with four other buildings to establish the Palos Verdes location of the Chadwick School, originally called the Chadwick Seaside School. Started in 1935 in San Pedro, by educator Margaret Lee Chadwick and her husband Commander Joseph Howard Chadwick, Chadwick is an independent K-12 day school, which at one time was a boarding school. It was the first high school on the Palos Verdes Peninsula. Land for the school was donated to the Chadwicks by Frank Vanderlip, Sr., the New York financier who bought the Peninsula in 1913. Fred Roessler, the first mayor of the City of Palos Verdes Estates, donated $100,000 for the construction of the first building. Plot plans and drawings for the original building site including dormitories and classrooms were developed by architects and brothers, Birge M. Clark and David B. Clark.
Subject(s): School buildings--California
Palos Verdes Peninsula (Calif.)
1971-1980