Chadwick School campus buildings with students, Palos Verdes, California

Abstract/Description: Image shows view of buildings with mature landscaping on the grounds of the Chadwick School, located at 26800 South Academy Drive, Palos Verdes. Two female students are visible walking on a path at center. Started in 1935 in San Pedro, by educator Margaret Lee Chadwick and her husband Commander Joseph Howard Chadwick, Chadwick is an independent K-12 day school, which at one time was a boarding school. It was the first high school on the Palos Verdes Peninsula. Land for the school was donated to the Chadwicks by Frank Vanderlip, Sr., the New York financier who bought the Peninsula in 1913. Fred Roessler, the first mayor of the City of Palos Verdes Estates, donated $100,000 for the construction of the first building. Plot plans and drawings for the original building site including dormitories and classrooms were developed by architects and brothers, Birge M. Clark and David B. Clark.
Subject(s): School children
Palos Verdes Peninsula (Calif.)
1941-1950
School buildings--California