Malaga Cove Library interior, Palos Verdes Estates, California

Abstract/Description: Image shows interior view of the children's reading room at the Malaga Cove Library, located at 2400 Via Campesina in Malaga Cove, with a table and chairs in the foreground, and bookshelves and a 16th century Italian Renaissance triptych visible in the background. The triptych, loaned to the Library by the Vanderlip family, includes a depiction of the crucifixion of Jesus with angels on either side, and the Virgin Mary with baby Jesus in the middle with a saint and a wiseman on the side panels. Designed by architect Myron Hunt and landscaped by the Olmsted Brothers, the Library was built for a cost of $90,000. It opened to the public on June 3, 1930, as the Public Library and Art Gallery, with reading rooms and shelving on the main floor and a gallery and community room on the ground level. The interior of the Library reflects the Mediterranean Revival architectural style of the building. Furniture was made by the Palos Verdes Furniture Guild and were replicas of antique renaissance tables and chairs brought from Italy by the Vanderlip family. In 1995, the Malaga Cove Library was listed on both the California Register of Historic Place and the National Register of Historic Places.
Subject(s): Triptychs--Italy
Palos Verdes Library District (Calif.)
Library buildings--California--Palos Verdes Peninsula
Interiors
Palos Verdes Estates (Calif.)
1921-1930
Public libraries--California--Palos Verdes Peninsula
Fireplaces
Library shelving