Malaga Cove Library, Palos Verdes Estates, California

Abstract/Description: Image shows view looking southeast at the north and west façades of Malaga Cove Library, located at 2400 Via Campesina in Malaga Cove. A sign for Public Library is visible to the left. Farnham Martins Park is visible to the west of the Library. Designed by architect Myron Hunt and landscaped by the Olmsted Brothers, the Library was built for a cost of $90,000. It opened to the public on June 3, 1930, as the Public Library and Art Gallery, with reading rooms and shelving on the main floor and a gallery and community room on the ground level. The interior of the Library reflects the Mediterranean Revival architectural style of the building. Furniture was made by the Palos Verdes Furniture Guild and were replicas of antique renaissance tables and chairs brought from Italy by the Vanderlip family. In 1995, the Malaga Cove Library was listed on both the California Register of Historic Place and the National Register of Historic Places.
Subject(s): Public libraries--California--Palos Verdes Peninsula
Palos Verdes Library District (Calif.)
Library buildings--California--Palos Verdes Peninsula
Palos Verdes Estates (Calif.)
1921-1930