City of Rolling Hills Estates Photo Collection


This collection includes photos scanned from original photos held by the City of Rolling Hills Estates. These images were scanned as part of a community wide scanning event held by the Palos Verdes Library District in 2016, called Your Story is the Peninsula's Story (Institute of Museum and Library Services grant, #40-8615) to help preserve and make accessible the unique history of the Palos Verdes Peninsula.

Images range in time from the beginnings of the City in 1957 to the 1990s. The City of Rolling Hills Estates became Los Angeles County’s 60th municipality on September 18, 1957. It incorporated in part to maintain the rural atmosphere and equestrian lifestyle of the community which is illustrated in these images.

Pages

"Remember to RHEcycle"
"Remember to RHEcycle"
Image shows a horse wearing a hat with a recycling symbol and knapsack standing next to a recycling bin filled with bottles, newspapers and other waste. The bin is inscribed with the phrase “Remember to RHEcycle.” Visible in the knapsack is a Pepsi can, bottle and roll of documents. In the 1990s, a voluntary recycling program was launched by the City of Rolling Hills Estates (RHE) with Browning-Ferris Industries, the City's trash hauler. A logo featuring a horse wearing a hat was created to promote the program. To encourage participation, a competition was held within the local schools to name the horse in the logo. "RHEpete" was selected as the winning entry., Library has digital image only, courtesy of the City of Rolling Hills Estates. Original image in Rolling Hills Estates Photo Collection, Folder: BFI.
Bird's-eye view of partially developed land along Silver Spur Road, Rolling...
Bird's-eye view of partially developed land along Silver Spur Road, Rolling...
Image shows view looking northwest from Crenshaw to Hawthorne Boulevard with buildings, undeveloped land and scattered homes along the hills in the area between Silver Spur Road and Indian Peak Road. Silver Spur Road is visible right of center with the California Federal building on the left of Silver Spur and the Palos Verdes Library District on the left. An unpaved road is visible in the foreground of the image. The Peninsula Shopping Center is visible in the distance., Library has digital image only, courtesy of the City of Rolling Hills Estates. Original image in Rolling Hills Estates Photo Collection, Box 1, Folder: Business District
Collage of signs for Rolling Hills Estates' neighborhoods
Collage of signs for Rolling Hills Estates' neighborhoods
Images shows outdoor signage of housing areas in the City of Rolling Hills Estates. Included are: Sea View Vista, Larga Vista, Marloma, Cresta Palos Verdes, Georgette Canyon Estates, Dapplegray, a sign for Roanwood Drive, Goldring Place and Silverleaf Drive, and a sign for Rolling Hills Estates City Hall., Library has digital image only, courtesy of the City of Rolling Hills Estates. Original image in Rolling Hills Estates Photo Collection, Box 1, Folder: City Signs HOA's
Collage of signs for Rolling Hills Estates' neighborhoods
Collage of signs for Rolling Hills Estates' neighborhoods
Images shows outdoor signage of housing areas in the City of Rolling Hills Estates. Included are: Montecillo, Rolling Meadows Road, Masongate, Casas Verdes, Los Ranchos Verdes, Ranch View, and the Terraces., Library has digital image only, courtesy of the City of Rolling Hills Estates. Original image in Rolling Hills Estates Photo Collection, Box 1, Folder: City Signs HOA's
Courtyard Mall under construction, Rolling Hills Estates, California
Courtyard Mall under construction, Rolling Hills Estates, California
Image shows view facing west from Drybank Drive and Deep Valley Drive of the construction of the Courtyard Mall. The enclosed shopping mall was developed by Ernest W. Hahn, Inc. and opened in October 1981. It was anchored by May Co. on the eastern side and Bullocks Wilshire on the west. Built at a cost of $40 million, the mall was built to keep business on the Peninsula. In 1988, the mall was renamed the Shops at Palos Verdes. In 1999 it changed owners again and was renamed, the Avenue of the Peninsula. In 2008 it was subsequently sold and renamed the Promenade on the Peninsula. The phrase "One Gaucho Drive" is inscribed on the back of the image., Library has digital image only, courtesy of the City of Rolling Hills Estates. Original image in Rolling Hills Estates Photo Collection, Box 1, Folder: Business District
Group of five Los Angeles County Sheriff officers
Group of five Los Angeles County Sheriff officers
Image shows full length view of five unidentified officers of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department in color guard dress uniforms standing in front of a building. Three of the five officers are saluting and two are holding firearms. A number of flags are visible in the background., Library has digital image only, courtesy of the City of Rolling Hills Estates. Original image in Rolling Hills Estates Photo Collection, Box 3, Folder: Sheriff
Hawthorne Boulevard inauguration
Hawthorne Boulevard inauguration
Image shows full length view of three men wearing suits and standing in front of fire engines from the Los Angeles County Fire Department and the Torrance Fire Department. Identified from left to right are: 1. Jack L. Hopkins (first mayor of Rolling Hills Estates); 2. Burton W. Chace (Los Angeles County Supervisor 1953-1972); and 3. Albert Isen (mayor of Torrance 1955-1970). The image was taken at a ceremony to commemorate the completion of Hawthorne Boulevard between Newton Street in Torrance and Palos Verdes Drive North in Rolling Hills Estates. The commemorative event included a parade with fire engines, police cars, and Torrance Police Department Color Guard., Library has digital image only, courtesy of the City of Rolling Hills Estates. Original image in Rolling Hills Estates Photo Collection, Box 2, Folder: Fire Dept
Horse wearing a hat with a recycling symbol
Horse wearing a hat with a recycling symbol
Image shows a horse tied to a fence wearing a hat with a recycling symbol. In the 1990s, a voluntary recycling program was launched by the City of Rolling Hills Estates (RHE) with Browning-Ferris Industries, the City's trash hauler. A logo featuring a horse wearing a hat was created to promote the program. To encourage participation, a competition was held within the local schools to name the horse in the logo. "RHEpete" was selected as the winning entry., Library has digital image only, courtesy of the City of Rolling Hills Estates. Original image in Rolling Hills Estates Photo Collection, Folder: BFI
Horse wearing a hat with a recycling symbol
Horse wearing a hat with a recycling symbol
Image shows a close-up of a horse tied to a fence wearing a hat with a recycling symbol. Image shows a horse tied to a fence wearing a hat with a recycling symbol. In the 1990s, a voluntary recycling program was launched by the City of Rolling Hills Estates (RHE) with Browning-Ferris Industries, the City's trash hauler. A logo featuring a horse wearing a hat was created to promote the program. To encourage participation, a competition was held within the local schools to name the horse in the logo. "RHEpete" was selected as the winning entry., Library has digital image only, courtesy of the City of Rolling Hills Estates. Original image in Rolling Hills Estates Photo Collection, Folder: BFI
Intersection of Beechgate Drive and Silver Spur Road, Rolling Hills Estates,...
Intersection of Beechgate Drive and Silver Spur Road, Rolling Hills Estates,...
Image shows view looking northeast at street light and intersection of Beechgate Drive and Silver Spur Road. Visible in the center of the image is a street sign for Roxcove and in the background at right is an Arco gas station sign, Kentucky Fried Chicken and California Federal buildings. Visible at left is a Downey Savings building. The hills in the background show residential developments., Library has digital image only, courtesy of the City of Rolling Hills Estates. Original image in Rolling Hills Estates Photo Collection, Box 1, Folder: Business District
Jack Hopkins and Robert Anderson
Jack Hopkins and Robert Anderson
Image shows three quarter length view of Jack L. Hopkins (first mayor of Rolling Hills Estates) receiving a gavel from Robert W. Anderson (second mayor of Rolling Hills Estates). Hopkins and Anderson were part of the five "founding fathers" of the City of Rolling Hills Estates which incorporated in 1957. Hopkins was on the City Council for 15 years serving several terms as mayor (1957-1959 and 1965-1966). Anderson served for eight years on council and one term as mayor (1959-1960)., Library has digital image only, courtesy of the City of Rolling Hills Estates. Original image in Rolling Hills Estates Photo Collection, Box 3, Folder: Sheriff
Los Angeles County Fire Department 56
Los Angeles County Fire Department 56
Image shows view of Los Angeles County Fire Department engine 56 and a Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Ford Custom patrol car with radio patrol equipment for the City of Rolling Hills Estates with three unidentified men. A man dressed in a dark suit and tie is standing next to a sheriff’s officer dressed in uniform and wearing a helmet. The third man, a fireman, is wearing a uniform and is seated in the cab of the fire engine. Los Angeles County Fire Station 56 is located in the City of Rolling Hills., Library has digital image only, courtesy of the City of Rolling Hills Estates. Original image in Rolling Hills Estates Photo Collection, Box 3, Folder: Sheriff

Pages