Images of the Palos Verdes Library District


This collection includes photographs of the buildings and facilities of the Palos Verdes Library District (PVLD). Established in 1928, PVLD is an independent library district serving the four cities of the Palos Verdes Peninsula: Palos Verdes Estates, Rolling Hills, Rolling Hills Estates and Rancho Palos Verdes. The district's facilities and locations generally follow the growth and the development on the Peninsula. The Malaga Cove Library, the district's first library, was completed in 1930 in the City of Palos Verdes Estates where much of the population was concentrated. This library served as the only library for the Peninsula until 1967 when the Peninsula Center Library was built in the City of Rolling Hills Estates. The Miraleste Library was completed in 1970 to serve the rapidly growing population on the eastern side of the Peninsula in what would become the City of Rancho Palos Verdes (1973). From the classical Mediterranean revival style of the Malaga Cove Library designed by Myron Hunt to A. Quincy Jones' Mid-Century modern design of the Peninsula Center Library, the photographs in this collection show different architectural styles and focuses of the Library throughout PVLD's history.

Pages

Malaga Cove Library interior, Palos Verdes Estates, California
Malaga Cove Library interior, Palos Verdes Estates, California
Image shows interior view of the children's reading room at the Malaga Cove Library, located at 2400 Via Campesina in Malaga Cove, with a table and chairs in the foreground, and bookshelves and a 16th century Italian Renaissance triptych visible in the background. The triptych, loaned to the Library by the Vanderlip family, includes a depiction of the crucifixion of Jesus with angels on either side, and the Virgin Mary with baby Jesus in the middle with a saint and a wiseman on the side panels. Designed by architect Myron Hunt and landscaped by the Olmsted Brothers, the Library was built for a cost of $90,000. It opened to the public on June 3, 1930, as the Public Library and Art Gallery, with reading rooms and shelving on the main floor and a gallery and community room on the ground level. The interior of the Library reflects the Mediterranean Revival architectural style of the building. Furniture was made by the Palos Verdes Furniture Guild and were replicas of antique renaissance tables and chairs brought from Italy by the Vanderlip family. In 1995, the Malaga Cove Library was listed on both the California Register of Historic Place and the National Register of Historic Places., Date Built: 1930, Photo Source: Palos Verdes Homes Association., PVH building permits, #209 and #233., Citation: Palos Verdes Bulletin, June, 1930, pg. 7.
Malaga Cove Library, Palos Verdes Estates, California
Malaga Cove Library, Palos Verdes Estates, California
Image shows view looking southeast at the north façade of Malaga Cove Library, located at 2400 Via Campesina in Malaga Cove, while under construction. Designed by architect Myron Hunt and landscaped by the Olmsted Brothers, the Library was built for a cost of $90,000. It opened to the public on June 3, 1930, as the Public Library and Art Gallery, with reading rooms and shelving on the main floor and a gallery and community room on the ground level. The interior of the Library reflects the Mediterranean Revival architectural style of the building. Furniture was made by the Palos Verdes Furniture Guild and were replicas of antique renaissance tables and chairs brought from Italy by the Vanderlip family. In 1995, the Malaga Cove Library was listed on both the California Register of Historic Place and the National Register of Historic Places., Date Built: 1930, Photo Source: Palos Verdes Homes Association., PVH building permits, #209 and #233., Citation: Palos Verdes Bulletin, May, 1930, pg. 1.
Malaga Cove Library, Palos Verdes Estates, California
Malaga Cove Library, Palos Verdes Estates, California
Image shows view looking southeast at the north façade of Malaga Cove Library, located at 2400 Via Campesina in Malaga Cove. Designed by architect Myron Hunt and landscaped by the Olmsted Brothers, the Library was built for a cost of $90,000. It opened to the public on June 3, 1930, as the Public Library and Art Gallery, with reading rooms and shelving on the main floor and a gallery and community room on the ground level. The interior of the Library reflects the Mediterranean Revival architectural style of the building. Furniture was made by the Palos Verdes Furniture Guild and were replicas of antique renaissance tables and chairs brought from Italy by the Vanderlip family. In 1995, the Malaga Cove Library was listed on both the California Register of Historic Place and the National Register of Historic Places., Date Built: 1930, Photo Source: Palos Verdes Homes Association., PVH building permits, #209 and #233., Citation: Palos Verdes Bulletin, May, 1930, pg. 1., Two mounted copies.
Malaga Cove Library, Palos Verdes Estates, California
Malaga Cove Library, Palos Verdes Estates, California
Image shows view looking southeast at the north and west façades of Malaga Cove Library, located at 2400 Via Campesina in Malaga Cove. Visible in the foreground is the fountain of Farnham Martins park situated west of the Library. Mature landscaping is visible around the building. Designed by architect Myron Hunt and landscaped by the Olmsted Brothers, the Library was built for a cost of $90,000. It opened to the public on June 3, 1930, as the Public Library and Art Gallery, with reading rooms and shelving on the main floor and a gallery and community room on the ground level. The interior of the Library reflects the Mediterranean Revival architectural style of the building. Furniture was made by the Palos Verdes Furniture Guild and were replicas of antique renaissance tables and chairs brought from Italy by the Vanderlip family. In 1995, the Malaga Cove Library was listed on both the California Register of Historic Place and the National Register of Historic Places., Date Built: 1930, Photo Source: Palos Verdes Homes Association., PVH building permits, #209 and #233., Citation: Palos Verdes Bulletin, May, 1930, pg. 1.
Malaga Cove Library, Palos Verdes Estates, California
Malaga Cove Library, Palos Verdes Estates, California
Image shows view looking southeast at the north and west façades of Malaga Cove Library, located at 2400 Via Campesina in Malaga Cove, while under construction. Farnham Martins Park is visible to the west of the Library. Designed by architect Myron Hunt and landscaped by the Olmsted Brothers, the Library was built for a cost of $90,000. It opened to the public on June 3, 1930, as the Public Library and Art Gallery, with reading rooms and shelving on the main floor and a gallery and community room on the ground level. The interior of the Library reflects the Mediterranean Revival architectural style of the building. Furniture was made by the Palos Verdes Furniture Guild and were replicas of antique renaissance tables and chairs brought from Italy by the Vanderlip family. In 1995, the Malaga Cove Library was listed on both the California Register of Historic Place and the National Register of Historic Places., Date Built: 1930, Photo Source: Palos Verdes Homes Association., PVH building permits, #209 and #233., Citation: Palos Verdes Bulletin, May, 1930, pg. 1.
Malaga Cove Library, Palos Verdes Estates, California
Malaga Cove Library, Palos Verdes Estates, California
Image shows view looking southeast at the north and west façades of Malaga Cove Library, located at 2400 Via Campesina in Malaga Cove. A sign for Public Library is visible to the left. Farnham Martins Park is visible to the west of the Library. Designed by architect Myron Hunt and landscaped by the Olmsted Brothers, the Library was built for a cost of $90,000. It opened to the public on June 3, 1930, as the Public Library and Art Gallery, with reading rooms and shelving on the main floor and a gallery and community room on the ground level. The interior of the Library reflects the Mediterranean Revival architectural style of the building. Furniture was made by the Palos Verdes Furniture Guild and were replicas of antique renaissance tables and chairs brought from Italy by the Vanderlip family. In 1995, the Malaga Cove Library was listed on both the California Register of Historic Place and the National Register of Historic Places., Date Built: 1930, Photo Source: Palos Verdes Homes Association., PVH building permits, #209 and #233., Citation: Palos Verdes Bulletin, May, 1930, pg. 1.
Malaga Cove Library, Palos Verdes Estates, California
Malaga Cove Library, Palos Verdes Estates, California
Image shows view looking southeast at the north and west façades of Malaga Cove Library, located at 2400 Via Campesina in Malaga Cove. Mature landscaping is visible around the building. Designed by architect Myron Hunt and landscaped by the Olmsted Brothers, the Library was built for a cost of $90,000. It opened to the public on June 3, 1930, as the Public Library and Art Gallery, with reading rooms and shelving on the main floor and a gallery and community room on the ground level. The interior of the Library reflects the Mediterranean Revival architectural style of the building. Furniture was made by the Palos Verdes Furniture Guild and were replicas of antique renaissance tables and chairs brought from Italy by the Vanderlip family. In 1995, the Malaga Cove Library was listed on both the California Register of Historic Place and the National Register of Historic Places., Date Built: 1930, Photo Source: Palos Verdes Homes Association., PVH building permits, #209 and #233., Citation: Palos Verdes Bulletin, May, 1930, pg. 1.
Malaga Cove Library, Palos Verdes Estates, California
Malaga Cove Library, Palos Verdes Estates, California
Image shows view looking southwest at the north façade of Malaga Cove Library, located at 2400 Via Campesina in Malaga Cove. Mature landscaping is visible around the building. Designed by architect Myron Hunt and landscaped by the Olmsted Brothers, the Library was built for a cost of $90,000. It opened to the public on June 3, 1930, as the Public Library and Art Gallery, with reading rooms and shelving on the main floor and a gallery and community room on the ground level. The interior of the Library reflects the Mediterranean Revival architectural style of the building. Furniture was made by the Palos Verdes Furniture Guild and were replicas of antique renaissance tables and chairs brought from Italy by the Vanderlip family. In 1995, the Malaga Cove Library was listed on both the California Register of Historic Place and the National Register of Historic Places., Date Built: 1930, Photo Source: Palos Verdes Homes Association., PVH building permits, #209 and #233., Citation: Palos Verdes Bulletin, May, 1930, pg. 1.
Malaga Cove Library, Palos Verdes Estates, California.
Malaga Cove Library, Palos Verdes Estates, California.
Image shows western facing view of the Malaga Cove Library, located at 2400 Via Campesina, and fountain located at the adjoining Farnham Martin's Park . Visible is the balcony and stonework walls, pathways, vegetation and partial view of the upper level of the library. Originally called the Palos Verdes Public Library & Art Gallery, the library was designed and built by architect Myron Hunt. The landscaping surrounding the library was designed by Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr. In 1980, the Malaga Cove Library was designated as an historical landmark by the Rancho de los Palos Verdes Historical Society. In 1995 it was listed on both the California Register of Historic Places and the National Register of Historic Places.
Miraleste Library artist's sketch
Miraleste Library artist's sketch
Image shows view of artist's rendering for Miraleste Library, providing a ground level perspective of the Modern one-story design with glass windows, entrance and parking facilities on the 1.6 acre site. Located at 29089 Palos Verdes Drive East in Rancho Palos Verdes, the library was designed by architect Thomas J. Russell and opened on October 24, 1970. Plans for a library facility on the east side of the Peninsula started as early as 1964. At that time, the nearest library was a Los Angeles County Library facility located on Narbonne Avenue. Library services were provided to the community with a small collection at the Miraleste School. While the permanent facility was being built, the Library District had an interim branch from 1966 to 1970 at Miraleste Plaza., Date built: 1970
Miraleste Library, Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Miraleste Library, Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Image shows view looking east at the entrance of the Miraleste Library located at 29089 Palos Verdes Drive East in Rancho Palos Verdes. The single story Miraleste Library designed by architect Thomas J. Russell opened on October 24, 1970. Plans for a library facility on the east side of the Peninsula started as early as 1964. At that time, the nearest library was a Los Angeles County Library facility located on Narbonne Avenue. Library services were provided to the community with a small collection at the Miraleste School. While the permanent facility was being built, the Library District had an interim branch from 1966 to 1970 at Miraleste Plaza., Date built: 1970
Miraleste Library, Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Miraleste Library, Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Image shows entrance of the Miraleste Library with four children holding books. Located at 29089 Palos Verdes Drive East in Rancho Palos Verdes, the library was designed by architect Thomas J. Russell and opened on October 24, 1970. Plans for a library facility on the east side of the Peninsula started as early as 1964. At that time, the nearest library was a Los Angeles County Library facility located on Narbonne Avenue. Library services were provided to the community with a small collection at the Miraleste School. While the permanent facility was being built, the Library District had an interim branch from 1966 to 1970 at Miraleste Plaza., Date built: 1970

Pages