Local History Center General Photo Collection

Pages

Los Angeles County Fire Department fire engines
Los Angeles County Fire Department fire engines
Image shows group of five fire engines flanked on either side by police vehicles parked in the Peninsula Shopping Center parking lot located at Hawthorne Boulevard and Indian Peak Road, with 14 uniformed officers standing in front of the group of vehicles. Water hoses and ladders are visible on the fire engines. Visible in the background is a Safeway grocery store building, Chevron Standard gas station and signs for Security First National Bank of Los Angeles, Palos Verdes Cleaners, Randall's Coiffures Pastel Hair Coloring, and a poster reading in part, "Everything for BACK TO SCHOOL.", Library digital image 000040451, courtesy of the City of Rolling Hills Estates. Original image in Rolling Hills Estates Photo Collection, Box 2, Folder: Fire Dept., Library duplicate image 000035253 includes stamp on back of image reading 'OFFICIAL PHOTO / LOS ANGELES COUNTY FIRE DEPARTMENT / 16-40-10.' (Image capture date, 2006-06-08.)
Lunada Bay Investment Building, Lunada Bay, Palos Verdes Estates, California,...
Lunada Bay Investment Building, Lunada Bay, Palos Verdes Estates, California,...
Image shows view looking southwest towards the Lunada Bay Investment Building (or Lunada Bay Patio Building) with automobiles parked in front. Located at 2325 Palos Verdes Drive West, construction on the nearly 30,000 square foot, two-story structure started in 1966 and was completed in 1967. The building featured retail and office spaces built around a central courtyard with fountain with parking in front and below the building., Photo Source: Palos Verdes Peninsula News, Date Built: 1967
Malaga Cove Intermediate School, Palos Verdes Estates, California
Malaga Cove Intermediate School, Palos Verdes Estates, California
Image shows aerial view of the Malaga Cove Intermediate School, located at 385 Via Almar in Malaga Cove, at center and hills in the background. School buses and automobiles are visible at lower right. Malaga Cove Intermediate School opened in 1961 on the grounds of the Peninsula's first grammar school, Malaga Cove School which opened in 1926. In the early 1960s, additional rooms were added to the original building to accommodate 6th, 7th and 8th grade instruction. Malaga Cove Intermediate School closed in 1991., Date Built: 1925, PVH building permit #49.
Malaga Cove Intermediate School, Palos Verdes Estates, California
Malaga Cove Intermediate School, Palos Verdes Estates, California
Image shows view looking southwest at building of the Malaga Cove Intermediate School, located at 385 Via Almar in Malaga Cove. Malaga Cove Intermediate School opened in 1961 on the grounds of the Peninsula's first grammar school, Malaga Cove School which opened in 1926. In the early 1960s, additional rooms were added to the original building to accommodate 6th, 7th and 8th grade instruction. Malaga Cove Intermediate School closed in 1991., Date Built: 1925, PVH building permit #49.
Malaga Cove Plaza, Palos Verdes Estates, California
Malaga Cove Plaza, Palos Verdes Estates, California
Image shows aerial view of Malaga Cove Plaza located in Palos Verdes Estates. Visible at center are the completed commercial buildings built around Neptune Fountain and parking lot. Residences and apartment buildings are visible at lower left and in the background.
Malaga Cove, Palos Verdes Estates, California
Malaga Cove, Palos Verdes Estates, California
Image shows view looking south west of the Malaga Cove coastline with the Palos Verdes Bathhouse and Beach Club at center and the Haggarty residence and pier at right. Major roads visible are Paseo del Mar, Via Almar, and Granvia La Costa (later Palos Verdes Drive West).
Marineland of the Pacific pier, Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Marineland of the Pacific pier, Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Image shows view looking south at the Marineland of Pacific pier located in Rancho Palos Verdes. A portion of a parking lot is visible at left with the coastline and hills visible in the background. Designed by architects, Perieria & Luckman, construction of the Marineland of the Pacific oceanarium started in 1953 and was completed in 1954. The facility included large tanks housing sea life, observation pier, administrative offices, with several additions made later. Marineland offered 15 minute excursions from the pier. Marineland of the Pacific closed in 1987.
Palos Verdes Bathhouse and Beach Club pool and shoreline
Palos Verdes Bathhouse and Beach Club pool and shoreline
Image shows view looking west of the Palos Verdes Bathhouse and Beach Club pool. People in bathing suits are visible in both the main and children's pools. The shoreline and cliffs from Palos Verdes Estates to Redondo Beach is visible in the background. The Palos Verdes Bathhouse and Beach Club (now the Palos Verdes Beach and Athletic Club), located at 389 Paseo Del Mar, opened June 1, 1930 at a cost of $75,000. The Club included a bathhouse with men’s and women’s dressing rooms, showers and lockers on the lower level, and a community area with a fireplace and windows overlooking the pool on the upper level. The Los Angeles engineering firm Elliott, Bowen and Waltz designed the pools which included a 45 x 105 ft. long main pool and a semicircular children’s wading pool. The pool water supply was taken from the ocean and pumped in daily. The first manager and swim lesson instructor was Grant Leenhouts. In 1965, the Club was renamed the Roessler Pool in honor of the City’s first mayor, Fred Roessler. After extensive renovations in 1998, the Club reopened as the Palos Verdes Beach and Athletic Club., Date Built: 1929, Citation: Palos Verdes Bulletin, December 1929, p. 4., Citation: Palos Verdes Bulletin, June 1930, p. 1-3., Citation: Palos Verdes Bulletin, June 1931, p. 42., Citation: Palos Verdes Bulletin, July 1931, p. 52-53., PVHA building permits #203 and #279., Label affixed on reverse of image reads, 'Donated by the Palos Verdes / Peninsula News / (Copyright) Palos Verdes Peninsula News / For permission to reprint, please call / 377-6877 and ask for the Editor.'
Palos Verdes Golf Club south entrance
Palos Verdes Golf Club south entrance
Image shows view looking north of the south entranceway at the Palos Verdes Golf Club. The two-story, eleven-room Spanish-style clubhouse is located at 3301 Via Campesina in Val Monte. The golf course, which was designed by George C. Thomas Jr. and built by William P. Bell, opened on November 15, 1924, with landscaping designed by the Olmsted brothers., Date Built: 1924
Palos Verdes Golf Course first tee
Palos Verdes Golf Course first tee
Image shows view looking north with the practice putting green in the foreground, with golf carts next to the number one tee with the lake and seventh green visible at center. The two-story, eleven-room Spanish-style clubhouse [not visible] is located at 3301 Via Campesina in Val Monte. The golf course, which was designed by George C. Thomas Jr. and built by William P. Bell, opened on November 15, 1924, with landscaping designed by the Olmsted brothers., Date Built: 1924, Citation: Palos Verdes Bulletin, August 1930, p. 7., PVH building permit #22.
Palos Verdes Golf Course ninth green
Palos Verdes Golf Course ninth green
Image shows view looking north with the practice putting green in the foreground and the ninth green to the right of the sand traps. The two-story, eleven-room Spanish-style clubhouse [not visible] is located at 3301 Via Campesina in Val Monte. The golf course, which was designed by George C. Thomas Jr. and built by William P. Bell, opened on November 15, 1924, with landscaping designed by the Olmsted brothers., Date Built: 1924, Citation: Palos Verdes Bulletin, August 1930, p. 7., PVH building permit #22.
Palos Verdes Memorial Park, Palos Verdes Estates, California
Palos Verdes Memorial Park, Palos Verdes Estates, California
Images shows view of stone-pedestal memorial with statue in the Palos Verdes Memorial Park in the City of Palos Verdes Estates. Visible on the top of the memorial are engraved name plates with dates. Built on a .75 acre of land across from the Palos Verdes Estates City Hall, the memorial park was originally created as a joint project between the Garden Section of the Palos Verdes Woman's Club and a local committee called the Men's Memorial Committee. The park was planned by Palos Verdes Estates landscape architect, Hammond Sadler. Completed in 1949, the park and memorial were created to remember soldiers, John Cuyler Bleecker (1921-1945), Hammond Dendy Sadler (1923-1942), both with the Army Air Force and Morris Emerson Shipley (1918-1945), with the US Army. The memorial and park were renovated in 1994 and expanded to recognize other soldiers from WWII, the Vietnam and Korean Wars, and two local Palos Verdes Estates police officers, Sergeant Vernon "tom" Vanderpool and Captain Michael Tracy, both of whom were killed in the line of duty earlier in 1994.

Pages