Local History Center General Photo Collection

Pages

Palos Verdes Peninsula Post Office, Rolling Hills Estates, California
Palos Verdes Peninsula Post Office, Rolling Hills Estates, California
Image shows view looking south at the west facade of the United States Palos Verdes Peninsula Post Office, located at 955 Deep Valley Drive, at the intersection of Silver Spur Road in Rolling Hills Estates. Visible at left is a flag pole and street sign for Deep Valley and an automobile on Deep Valley road at right. The 32,000 square-foot three-story building, designed by architect Neil Stanton Palmer, replaced the post office originally built on the site in 1962, nearly tripling the size of the original facility. The Post Office was dedicated October 18, 1990.
Point Vicente Lighthouse, Rancho Palos Verdes, California.
Point Vicente Lighthouse, Rancho Palos Verdes, California.
Image shows view looking south west at the 67-foot-high Point Vicente Lighthouse, which opened in 1926 atop the 130 cliff of Point Vicente, named in 1790 by English explorer Captain George Vancouver for his friend, Padre Vicente de Santa Maria of the Mission San Buenaventura in Ventura, CA. Catalina Island is visible in the distance. The lighthouse utilizes a five-hunderd-watt lamp with a third order clamshell Fresnel lens, manufactured in 1886 in Paris, France by Barbier, Bernard and Turenne, the oldest lens making company in the world. Point Vicente was manned by civilian lighthouse keepers until 1939, when the U.S. Coast Guard became responsible for its maintenance and operation. Producing two white flashes every twenty seconds visible at a distance of 20 miles, the lighthouse was manned until 1971, when it became automated. Point Vicente Lighthouse was added to the National Registry of Historic Sites on November 17, 1979., Date Built: 1926
Pool and auditorium, Marymount College, Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Pool and auditorium, Marymount College, Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Image shows view of the auditorium building and pool on the campus of the Religious of the Sacred Heart, Marymount College, Palos Verdes campus located in the City of Rancho Palos Verdes at 30840 Hawthorne Blvd. Visible in the foreground are palm trees and masonry walls. Classes on the 45-acre Marymount College, Palos Verdes campus started in September 1960. The college was previously located with Marymount High School in Westwood and was directed by Reverend Mother Gertrude. It relocated to the Palos Verdes site to accommodate increased enrollment. A presentation ceremony featuring the flagpole, said to have been one used in the victory ceremonies at the 8th Winter Olympic Games held in Squaw Valley, was announced in the May 19, 1960 Palos Verdes News. In 1976, the Marymount College, Palos Verdes campus was sold to the Salvation Army for an officer training facility., Date Built: 1963
Portuguese Bend Beach Club, Portuguese Bend, Rancho Palos Verdes, California...
Portuguese Bend Beach Club, Portuguese Bend, Rancho Palos Verdes, California...
Image shows aerial view looking east at Portuguese Bend in Rancho Palos Verdes with the Portuguese Bend Beach Club community along the coast line at center. Built on 105 acres by the Palos Verdes Corporation in 1948, the year-round private beach club community included a clubhouse, pool, boating facilities, a 485-foot pier, restaurant, paddle tennis courts, and rental cottages. It hosted dances, swim meets and other tournaments and was a very popular recreational facility. In August 1956, land slippage extending from the coastline to approximately three-quarters of a mile inland destroyed the club facilities, with approximately 145 houses in the community and Portuguese Bend area either destroyed or severely damaged by the landslide., Library has digital image only. Original copied and returned to donor, Gail Lovrich.
Portuguese Bend Beach Club, Portuguese Bend, Rancho Palos Verdes, California...
Portuguese Bend Beach Club, Portuguese Bend, Rancho Palos Verdes, California...
Image shows view looking northeast at Portuguese Bend in Rancho Palos Verdes with the Portuguese Bend Beach Club community along the coast line at center. Built on 105 acres by the Palos Verdes Corporation in 1948, the year-round private beach club community included a clubhouse, pool, boating facilities, a 485-foot pier, restaurant, paddle tennis courts, and rental cottages. It hosted dances, swim meets and other tournaments and was a very popular recreational facility. In August 1956, land slippage extending from the coastline to approximately three-quarters of a mile inland destroyed the club facilities, with approximately 145 houses in the community and Portuguese Bend area either destroyed or severely damaged by the landslide., Library has digital image only. Original copied and returned to donor, Gail Lovrich.
Portuguese Bend Beach Club, Portuguese Bend, Rancho Palos Verdes, California...
Portuguese Bend Beach Club, Portuguese Bend, Rancho Palos Verdes, California...
Image shows view looking northeast at Portuguese Bend in Rancho Palos Verdes with the Portuguese Bend Beach Club community along the coast line at center. A sandy beach line with umbrellas and stairways are visible in the middle. Built on 105 acres by the Palos Verdes Corporation in 1948, the year-round private beach club community included a clubhouse, pool, boating facilities, a 485-foot pier, restaurant, paddle tennis courts, and rental cottages. It hosted dances, swim meets and other tournaments and was a very popular recreational facility. In August 1956, land slippage extending from the coastline to approximately three-quarters of a mile inland destroyed the club facilities, with approximately 145 houses in the community and Portuguese Bend area either destroyed or severely damaged by the landslide., Library has digital image only. Original copied and returned to donor, Gail Lovrich.
Portuguese Bend Beach, Portuguese Bend, Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Portuguese Bend Beach, Portuguese Bend, Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Image shows view looking northwest at Portuguese Bend in Rancho Palos Verdes of the the Portuguese Bend Beach Club community along the coast line at right. The 485-foot Portuguese Bend Pier is visible in the background. Built on 105 acres by the Palos Verdes Corporation in 1948, the year-round private beach club community included a clubhouse, pool, boating facilities, a 485-foot pier, restaurant, paddle tennis courts, and rental cottages. It hosted dances, swim meets and other tournaments and was a very popular recreational facility. In August 1956, land slippage extending from the coastline to approximately three-quarters of a mile inland destroyed the club facilities, with approximately 145 houses in the community and Portuguese Bend area either destroyed or severely damaged by the landslide., Library has digital image only. Original copied and returned to donor, Gail Lovrich., Several images taped together. This is the right side of a two panel photograph.
Portuguese Bend Beach, Portuguese Bend, Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Portuguese Bend Beach, Portuguese Bend, Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Image shows view looking southwest at Portuguese Bend in Rancho Palos Verdes with the coastline at center and hill at left., Library has digital image only. Original copied and returned to donor, Gail Lovrich., Several images taped together. This is the left side of a two panel photograph.
Red Onion restaurant, Rolling Hills Estates, California
Red Onion restaurant, Rolling Hills Estates, California
Image shows view looking southeast at the west facing facade of the Red Onion restaurant, located at 736 Bart Earle Way, in Rolling Hills Estates. Mature landscaping and houses are visible in the background. The building was designed by the architectural firm of Pollack and Palmer and opened in August 1963. Serving authentic Sonoran style Mexican food, the Red Onion chain of restaurant has been owned and operated by generations of the Earle family. The first Red Onion location opened in Inglewood in 1949. At one time, restaurants were located in Torrance, Hawthorne and Irvine. The Rolling Hills Estates location is the only remaining location. The Red Onion is one of the longest running restaurants in Rolling Hills Estates., Photo Source: Palos Verdes Peninsula News.
Redondo Hotel, Redondo Beach, California
Redondo Hotel, Redondo Beach, California
Image shows framed photograph of the Redondo Hotel located in Redondo Beach. Photograph shows west facing facade of hotel with a pier visible at right. Back of image includes handwritten note by donor, Val G. Mott, "OLD REDONDO HOTEL. OUR OFFICE WAS HERE UNTIL IT WAS BUILT IN THE P.V. ESTATES. / ALL SHIP PASSENGERS STAYED HERE, INCLUDING PRESIDENTS UNTIL THE HARBOR WAS BUILT IN SAN PEDRO.' Built on a seven acre site, the three-story Victorian style hotel opened in 1890. It included rooms with the most modern amenities, ballrooms, tennis courts, and extensive landscaping on the grounds. The hotel served as the first offices for the Palos Verdes Project. It was demolished in 1925., Val Mott was a surveyor for the Palos Verdes Project and worked extensively on the Palos Verdes Peninsula.
Robert E. Ryan Community Park, Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Robert E. Ryan Community Park, Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Image shows view of Robert E. Ryan Community Park, located at 30359 Hawthorne Boulevard in Rancho Palos Verdes, with a historic plaque mounted on a large stone, a partial view of a bike rack and mature landscaping. The 9-acre site was designated by the Rancho de los Palos Verdes Historical Society as the first historic site on the Peninsula in 1977. Called "4th City Founders," the Historical Society installed the plaque and planted a grove of trees with dedication to Gordon Curtis, Dorothy Le Conte, and Fred Hesse, Jr. for their contributions in the effort to incorporate the City of Rancho Palos Verdes in 1973. Originally called the Rancho Palos Verdes Park, the park was the first park in the City of Rancho Palos Verdes. It was renamed in 1995 to honor Robert E. Ryan, 20-year council member and instrumental in incorporating Rancho Palos Verdes as the Peninsula's fourth city, who died earlier in the year.
Rolling Hills Estates City Hall architectural rendering
Rolling Hills Estates City Hall architectural rendering
Image shows color drawing for ranch-style city buildings for the City of Rolling Hills Estates, located at 4045 Palos Verdes Drive North, Rolling Hills Estates. Construction of the municipal buildings started in October, 1973. The building was dedicated on June 1, 1974. Prior to the completion of the building, the City of Rolling Hills Estates occupied leased space located at Palos Verdes Drive North and Rolling Hills Road since the city’s incorporation in 1957.

Pages