"Sea Gulls at Long Beach Pier, Cal."ca. 1906

Abstract/Description: Hand-colored postcard image shows sea gulls in the shores waves along the south side of the Pine Avenue Pier in Long Beach. A bare-poled sailboat is visible by the end of the pier. The Pine Avenue Pier opened May 27, 1893 and was the first municipal pier built in California. In 1904 the wooden pier structure was replaced a 40-foot wide, 1,000 foot-long cement and steel double deck, designed by H.C. Holmes. The Sun Parlor building was opened at the end of the pier on April 6, 1905. In 1934, the Pine Avenue Pier was destroyed by storm waves. Postcard printed with "366" in lower left corner. Postcard printed with "404" in lower right corner. Reverse of split-back postcard printed with "Pub. by The Western Publishing & / Novelty Co., Los Angeles, Cal."and in a double circle with "TB" for Tichnor Brothers, Boston, MA, postcards publishers.
Subject(s): Piers--California--Long Beach
Gulls
Pine Avenue Pier (Long Beach, Calif.)
1901-1910