Ye Alpine Tavern, Mt. Lowe, California, ca. 1900

Abstract/Description: Hand-colored postcard image shows view of a group of five women standing next to the railway tracks in front of Ye Alpine Tavern, Mt. Lowe, which opened in 1895 and served as the Pacific Electric Mt. Lowe line terminus for Thaddeus Lowe's Alpine incline railway up Echo Mountain. The Mt. Lowe Trail Campground now occupies the site of the famous Alpine Tavern, which was destroyed by fire in 1936. An American flag with 45 stars is hanging in front of the multi-story stone and wood tavern, and a sign that reads "Mt. Lowe / Post Office" is visible on a large tree behind the group of women.
Subject(s): Inclined railroads--California--Mount Lowe
Taverns (Inns)--California--Mount Lowe
Ye Alpine Tavern
Lowe, Mount (Calif.)
1891-1900
Pacific Electric Railway Company
Mount Lowe Railway