Wayfarers' Chapel, Portuguese Bend, California

Abstract/Description: Colored postcard image show frontal view of the Wayfarers' Chapel with surrounding landscape. Narcissa Cox Vanderlip contributed the 3 1/2-acre site for the chapel, for which the cornerstone was dedicated on July 16, 1949. Lloyd Wright, son of the famous architect Frank Lloyd Wright, was hired to design the chapel which opened in 1951. Reverse of postcard printed with "Built by the Church of the New Jerusalem, as a national memorial to Emmanuel Swedenborg upon whose teaching the Church was founded. / The Church is open to all for worship and meditation." Also printed with "G. 32 -- WESTERN PUBL. & NOV. CO., 259 SO. LOS ANGELES ST., L.A. CALIF." and "CURTEICHCOLOR 3-D NATURAL COLOR REPRODUCTIONS (REG. U.S.A. PAT. OFF.)"
Subject(s): Chapels--California, Southern
Portuguese Bend (Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif.)
Palos Verdes Peninsula (Calif.)
1951-1960
Wayfarers Chapel (Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif.)