Ye Alpine Tavern interior, Mt. Lowe, California, ca. 1900

Abstract/Description: Hand-colored postcard image shows interior view of the main room at Ye Alpine Tavern, Mt. Lowe, which opened in 1895 and served as the Pacific Electric Mt. Lowe line terminus for Thaddeus Lowe's Alpine incline railway up Echo Mountain. The Mt. Lowe Trail Campground now occupies the site of the famous Alpine Tavern, which was destroyed by fire in 1936. Nine wooden rocking chairs flank a large fireplace that measured 7 feet high by 12 feet wide, above which an oak beam is carved with the motto, "Ye Ornament of a House Is Ye Guest who doth Frequent it." At far left a display case and cash register are visible. This main room, which contained five fireplaces, was used for dining and could seat up to 200 people.
Subject(s): Taverns (Inns)--California--Mount Lowe
Interiors
Ye Alpine Tavern
Lowe, Mount (Calif.)
1891-1900