"The Auditorium, Home of the Temple Baptist Church, Los Angeles, Cal."

Abstract/Description: Hand-colored postcard image shows elevated frontal view of the Temple Auditorium, home of the Temple Baptist Church, founded in 1903. Postcard has two oval insets containing a portrait of the pastor James Whitcomb Brougher Sr. in the upper left corner and Rev. Robert J. Burdette (1844-1914), pastor of the congregation from 1903-1909, in the upper right corner. The Temple Auditorium, located on the northeast corner of West Fifth and South Olive streets, was a stone brick, multi-story Gothic style building with towers, ogee arches, turrets and cupolas. Known as the Philharmonic Auditorium, home to Los Angeles Philharmonic from 1919-1964. Built originally in 1906 by Charles F. Whittlesey, the façade was remodeled in 1938 by architect Stiles O. Clements. The Temple Baptist Church was located at same address, 427 West Fifth Street, facing what later became Pershing Square.
Subject(s): Architecture--California--Los Angeles.
Temple Baptist Church (Los Angeles, Calif.)
1911-1920
Brougher, James Whitcomb, Sr.
Burdette, Robert J.
Temple Auditorium (Los Angeles, Calif.)