"PANAMA-PACIFIC INTERNATIONAL EXPOSITION, SAN FRANCISCO, 1915. MAIN ENTRANCE, MACHINERY PALACE."

Abstract/Description: Hand-colored postcard image shows front façade of the Machinery Palace at the Panama-Pacific Internation Exposition, San Francisco, 1915. Designed for the exposition by architects Ward (b. 1876) and Blohme (b. 1878) of San Francisco, the building was the largest wooden structure in the world at the time and occupied nine acres. The west façade displays three gable-pointed arched entranceways, flanked by pairs of columns topped with sculptures of American eagles by scupltor Charles H. Humphriss (or Humphies, 1867-1964.) Between the arches are four taller columns which support figures sculpted by Haig Patigian (1876-1950) of San Francisco, illustrating, left to right, "Steam Power" [not visible], "Invention", "Electricity", and "Imagination." Split-back stamped in green ink "PANAMA-PACIFIC / INTERNATIONAL EXPOSITION / CARDINELL-VINCENT CO / SAN FRANCISCO, CAL. PUBLISHERS" with the medallion logo, and "C.T. AMERICAN ART" for the Curt Teich Company, numbered "R-54483."
Subject(s): Panama-Pacific International Exposition (1915 : San Francisco, Calif.)
San Francisco (Calif.)
1911-1920