Haggarty Residence, 421 Paseo del Mar, Palos Verdes Estates.

Abstract/Description: Image shows interior view of the John Joseph Haggarty Estate [also spelled "Haggerty"], located on Paseo del Mar on lot 5, block 1500 in Malaga Cove. J.J. Haggarty was born in London in 1864, married Bertha M. Schneider in St. Paul, Minnesota in 1901, and came to Los Angeles in 1902. Visible is the interior of the living room, with painted coffered ceiling and arched entranceways. A large carpet with mixture of Italian renaissance, French 18th-century-style and contemporary furniture decorates the room. Designed by architect Armand Monaco, the expansive one-story Italianate villa with tile roof was originally built as a summer residence for the wealthy Los Angeles business merchant at a cost of $750,000. It comprised of some 30 rooms, a conservatory, formal garden, gardener's cottage, a swimming pool, private pier and two garages housing six automobiles. When the Haggerty business faltered, the mansion passed through several owners and was finally bought by Harry Wheeler, a mid-west financier who purchased the estate to house his art collection. Upon Wheeler's death the property was purchased in 1950 by the United Church of Christ and became the Neighborhood Church in 1953.
Subject(s): Houses--California--Palos Verdes Estates
Haggarty residence
Interiors
Living rooms