Group of golfers at the Palos Verdes Golf Clubhouse.

Abstract/Description: Image shows view looking west at a group of golfers and others standing on the entrance loggia along the north façade of the Palos Verdes Golf Club. [Possibly a group from one of two tournaments held on March 18 and 19th, 1925. See the "Palos Verdes Bulletin," March-April 1925, p. 6] Three women dressed in golfing attire and several men, dressed in plus-fours, are gathered around the flagstone steps and pathway. Seated on the bench next to his golf clubs is Donald K. Lawyer (Sales Manager, Palos Verdes Project and Chairman of the Greens Committee), dressed in a long-sleeved shirt, bowtie, plus-fours and dark-colored vest. Standing at top of stairs at left is Jim Fiske, golf pro at the Palos Verdes Golf Club, wearing a V-neck sweater, white shirt and bowtie. The two-story, eleven-room Spanish-style clubhouse is located at 3301 Via Campesina in Val Monte. The golf course, which was designed by George C. Thomas Jr. and built by William P. Bell, opened on November 15, 1924, with landscaping designed by the Olmsted brothers.
Subject(s): Fiske, James Hiram "Jim" (1883-1951)
Country clubs--California--Palos Verdes Estates
Clubhouses--California--Palos Verdes Estates
Arcades (Architectural components)
Portraits, Group
Lawyer, Donald K.
Palos Verdes Golf Club (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.)
Date Created: 1925-04-00