White Point Hot Springs, San Pedro, California.

Abstract/Description: Image shows view of opening day festivities at the White Point Hot Springs with a crowd of gathered in front of the hotel. Dancing was free the dance hall. Located along the shore about three miles southeast of Portuguese Bend on property owned by Rámon Sepúlveda, the resort was built and operated by the Tagami family and was a popular coastal attraction during the 1920s and 1930s. Construction began in 1915 by Tamiji Tagami, and when completed the resort was comprised of a hotel, restaurant, rental cabins, sulfur-spring pool, saltwater pool, bathhouse, and a pier from which speedboats shuttled day-fishermen out to an off-shore fishing barge. The spa continued to operate until heavily damaged by the 1933 Long Beach earthquake. Photo is inscribed in white text in Japanese and the date "AUG 6th 1922) in lower right corner.
Subject(s): White Point Hot Springs (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Building dedications--California (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Hot springs--California--Los Angeles
Health resorts--California--Los Angeles
Coasts--California, Southern
San Pedro (Los Angeles, Calif.)
1921-1930
Date Created: 1922-00-00