Neighborhood Church Solarium, Palos Verdes Estates, California

Abstract/Description: Image shows view of solarium with hand-painted patterned walls and fresco at the Neighborhood Church located at 415 Paseo Del Mar, Palos Verdes Estates. The fresco, in an arched area above a door, entitled 'Springtime' pictures a man and woman walking along a path lined with ivy-covered columns. Visible in the center is a wood table and credenza, with an organ and wood cabinet on the sides. Designed by architect Armand Monaco, the one-story Italianate villa was built originally as a summer residence for businessman John Joseph Haggarty in 1928. The property passed through several owners including Harry Wheeler, who purchased the estate to house his art collection. The property was purchased in 1950 by the United Church of Christ and became the permanent home of the Neighborhood Church in 1953. Converting the mansion into a church took eighteen months to complete and included expanding the living room to become the sanctuary, pulpit and choir areas and remodeling the garages, bedrooms and kitchen for use as a Sunday school.
Subject(s): Lamps
Neighborhood Church (Palos Verdes Peninsula, Calif.)
Church buildings--California--Palos Verdes Peninsula
Churches--California, Southern
Palos Verdes Estates (Calif.)
1971-1980
Haggarty residence
Organ (Musical instrument)
Sconces
Date Created: ca 1970