Neighborhood Church Sanctuary, Palos Verdes Estates, California

Abstract/Description: Image shows view of the east end of the sanctuary of the Neighborhood Church located at 415 Paseo Del Mar, Palos Verdes Estates. Visible are church pews, pulpit, lectern and coffered ceiling. A pipe organ is visible in the background. Designed by architect Armand Monaco, the one-story Italianate villa was built originally as a summer residence for businessman John Joseph Haggarty in 1928. The property passed through several owners including Harry Wheeler, who purchased the estate to house his art collection. The property was purchased in 1950 by the United Church of Christ and became the permanent home of the Neighborhood Church in 1953. Converting the mansion into a church took eighteen months to complete and included expanding the living room to become the sanctuary, pulpit and choir areas and remodeling the garages, bedrooms and kitchen for use as a Sunday school.
Subject(s): Neighborhood Church (Palos Verdes Peninsula, Calif.)
Church buildings--California--Palos Verdes Peninsula
Churches--California, Southern
Palos Verdes Estates (Calif.)
1971-1980
Haggarty residence
Interiors
Organ (Musical instruments)
Organ pipes
Date Created: ca 1970