Wayfarers' Chapel Portuguese Bend, California

Abstract/Description: Image shows interior view of Wayfarers' Chapel, located in Portuguese Bend, Rancho Palos Verdes. Narcissa Cox Vanderlip contributed the 3 1/2-acre site for the chapel, for which the cornerstone was dedicated on July 16, 1949. Lloyd Wright, son of the famous architect Frank Lloyd Wright, was hired to design the chapel which opened in 1951. The building is almost entirely of glass and is planted on either side by evergreen trees. The Wayfarers' Chapel was built as a national memorial to Emanuel Swedenborg, upon whose teachings the Church was founded.
Subject(s): Chapels--California, Southern
Wayfarer's Chapel (Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif.)
Palos Verdes Peninsula (Calif.)
Rancho Palos Verdes (Calif.)
1971-1980
Date Created: 1975