Wayfarers' Chapel Portuguese Bend, California

Abstract/Description: Color postcard image shows elevated view of Wayfarers' Chapel. Narcissa Cox Vanderlip contributed the 3 1/2-acre site for the chapel, for which the cornerstone was dedicated on July 16, 1949. Lloyd Wright, son of the famous architect Frank Lloyd Wright, was hired to design the chapel which opened in 1951. Postcard printed on reverse with "WAYFARERS' CHAPEL / Portuguese Bend, California / The Wayfarers' Chapel, near Portuguese Bend, built by the Church of the New Jerusalem as a national memorial to Emanuel Swedenborg, upon whose teachings the church was founded." Also printed with "Genuine Natural Color. Made by Dexter Press, Inc. West Nyack, N.Y."; "Pub. by Mellinger Studios, 597 W. Figueroa Dr., Altadena, Calif."
Subject(s): Chapels--California, Southern
Portuguese Bend (Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif.)
Palos Verdes Peninsula (Calif.)
1951-1960
Wayfarers Chapel (Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif.)
Date Created: ca 1955