White Point Hot Springs, San Pedro, California

Abstract/Description: Image shows elevated view of the White Point Hot Springs saltwater swimming pool, hotel, fountain and bath house. Farmhouses are visible on the top of the cliff. Located along the shore about three miles southeast of Portuguese Bend on property owned by Rámon Sepúlveda, the resort was built and operated by the Tagami family and was a popular coastal attraction during the 1920s and 1930s. Construction began in 1915 by Tamiji Tagami, and when completed the resort was comprised of a hotel, restaurant, rental cabins, sulfur-spring pool, saltwater pool, bathhouse, and a pier from which speedboats shuttled day-fishermen out to an off-shore fishing barge. The spa continued to operate until heavily damaged by the 1933 Long Beach earthquake. Inscribed on lower right corner, "SUNSET PHOTO / SAN PEDRO / CALIF."
Subject(s): Coasts--California, Southern
White Point Hot Springs (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Hot springs--California--Los Angeles
Health resorts--California--Los Angeles
San Pedro (Los Angeles, Calif.)
1921-1930