Palos Verdes Bathhouse and Beach Club

Abstract/Description: Image shows view looking north towards Hollywood Riviera and Torrance at grated land for pool site of the Palos Verdes Bathhouse and Beach Club. The Palos Verdes Bathhouse and Beach Club (now the Palos Verdes Beach and Athletic Club), located at 389 Paseo Del Mar, opened June 1, 1930 at a cost of $75,000. The Los Angeles engineering firm Elliott, Bowen and Waltz designed the pools which included a 45 x 105 ft. long main pool and a semicircular children’s wading pool. The pool water supply was taken from the ocean and pumped in daily. The first manager and swim lesson instructor was Grant Leenhouts. In 1965, the Club was renamed the Roessler Pool in honor of the City’s first mayor, Fred Roessler. After extensive renovations in 1998, the Club reopened as the Palos Verdes Beach and Athletic Club.
Subject(s): Swimming pools
Palos Verdes Estates (Calif.)
Palos Verdes Peninsula (Calif.)
1921-1930
Date Created: 1929