Point Vicente Lighthouse, Rancho Palos Verdes, California.

Abstract/Description: Image shows view looking south west at the 67-foot-high Point Vicente Lighthouse, which opened in 1926 atop the 130 cliff of Point Vicente, named in 1790 by English explorer Captain George Vancouver for his friend, Padre Vicente de Santa Maria of the Mission San Buenaventura in Ventura, CA. Catalina Island is visible in the distance. The lighthouse utilizes a five-hunderd-watt lamp with a third order clamshell Fresnel lens, manufactured in 1886 in Paris, France by Barbier, Bernard and Turenne, the oldest lens making company in the world. Point Vicente was manned by civilian lighthouse keepers until 1939, when the U.S. Coast Guard became responsible for its maintenance and operation. Producing two white flashes every twenty seconds visible at a distance of 20 miles, the lighthouse was manned until 1971, when it became automated. Point Vicente Lighthouse was added to the National Registry of Historic Sites on November 17, 1979.
Subject(s): Point Vicente--Rancho Palos Verdes (Calif.)
Coasts--California, Southern
Lighthouses--California--Point Vicente
Rancho Palos Verdes (Calif.)
1971-1980
Date Created: ca 1975