Palos Verdes Bathhouse and Beach Club

Abstract/Description: Image shows view looking west of the east and south façades of the Palos Verdes Bathhouse and Beach Club and pool just after the pool opened. People in bathing suits are visible in both the main and children's pools. The Haggerty pier is partially visible in the background. The Palos Verdes Bathhouse and Beach Club (now the Palos Verdes Beach and Athletic Club), located at 389 Paseo Del Mar, opened June 1, 1930 at a cost of $75,000. The Club included a bathhouse with men’s and women’s dressing rooms, showers and lockers on the lower level, and a community area with a fireplace and windows overlooking the pool on the upper level. The Los Angeles engineering firm Elliott, Bowen and Waltz designed the pools which included a 45 x 105 ft. long main pool and a semicircular children’s wading pool. The pool water supply was taken from the ocean and pumped in daily. The first manager and swim lesson instructor was Grant Leenhouts. In 1965, the Club was renamed the Roessler Pool in honor of the City’s first mayor, Fred Roessler. After extensive renovations in 1998, the Club reopened as the Palos Verdes Beach and Athletic Club.
Subject(s): Swimming pools
Piers
Palos Verdes Estates (Calif.)
Palos Verdes Peninsula (Calif.)
1921-1930
Clubhouses
Date Created: 1930-07-10