Palos Verdes Memorial Park, Palos Verdes Estates, California

Abstract/Description: Images shows view of stone-pedestal memorial with statue in the Palos Verdes Memorial Park in the City of Palos Verdes Estates. Visible on the top of the memorial are engraved name plates with dates. Built on a .75 acre of land across from the Palos Verdes Estates City Hall, the memorial park was originally created as a joint project between the Garden Section of the Palos Verdes Woman's Club and a local committee called the Men's Memorial Committee. The park was planned by Palos Verdes Estates landscape architect, Hammond Sadler. Completed in 1949, the park and memorial were created to remember soldiers, John Cuyler Bleecker (1921-1945), Hammond Dendy Sadler (1923-1942), both with the Army Air Force and Morris Emerson Shipley (1918-1945), with the US Army. The memorial and park were renovated in 1994 and expanded to recognize other soldiers from WWII, the Vietnam and Korean Wars, and two local Palos Verdes Estates police officers, Sergeant Vernon "Tom" Vanderpool and Captain Michael Tracy, both of whom were killed in the line of duty earlier in 1994.
Subject(s): Parks
War memorials
Palos Verdes Estates (Calif.)
ca 1971-1980
Memorials
Date Created: n.d.