Palos Verdes Homes Association Photograph Collection


The Palos Verdes Homes Association Photo Collection was donated to the Palos Verdes Library District by the Palos Verdes (PV) Homes Association. The photographs in this collection were featured in one of the earliest publications on the Peninsula, the Palos Verdes Bulletin. The Bulletin, published from November 1924 to October 1931 and then again form October 1932 to June 1933, provided updates to residents and potential property buyers.

The Palos Verdes Homes Association continues to this day overseeing building and landscaping throughout the City of Palos Verdes Estates.

Pages

"At the Golf Shop, Palos Verdes Golf Club."
"At the Golf Shop, Palos Verdes Golf Club."
Image shows view looking west along the south façade of the Palos Verdes Golf Club. Visible is a group gathered on walkway along entrance to the golf shop, with the stairway entrance to the men's shower room visible at right. A flagstone wall is visible in foreground. The two-story, eleven-room Spanish-style clubhouse is located at 3301 Via Campesina in Val Monte. The golf course, which was designed by George C. Thomas Jr. and built by William P. Bell, opened on November 15, 1924, with landscaping designed by the Olmsted brothers., Date Built: 1924, Photo Source: Palos Verdes Homes Association, Citation: Palos Verdes Bulletin, September 1925, p. 7., PVH building permit #22.
"Birdhouses made by boys at Malaga Cove School"
"Birdhouses made by boys at Malaga Cove School"
Image shows a group portrait with student contestants in a birdhouse competition, the culmination of a manual training department assignment at Malaga Cove School. Identified from left to right, 1. Jason Cedarholm; 2. Keegan Low; 3. Jack Wallace (3rd prize); 4. Boyd Comstock, Jr.; 5. Spencer Moeller (2nd prize); 6. Richard Yarnell (2nd prize); 7. Joe Hatashita; 8. Melroy Hodge (1st prize); and 9. Bill Bleeker. Winners received books on birds. 1930 was the first year of competition., Photo Source: Palos Verdes Homes Association, Citation: Palos Verdes Bulletin, April 1930, p. 1.
"E.D. Slingsby, Manager, Palos Verdes Golf Clubhouse."
"E.D. Slingsby, Manager, Palos Verdes Golf Clubhouse."
Image shows full-length portrait of Ed Slingsby, clubhouse manager, standing in front of the entrance to the dining room of the Palos Verdes Golf Club. Mr. Slingsby, former manager of the Tam O'Shanter Inn on Los Feliz Boulevard in Los Angeles, became manager of the clubhouse in April of 1926. The two-story, eleven-room Spanish-style clubhouse is located at 3301 Via Campesina in Val Monte. The golf course, which was designed by George C. Thomas Jr. and built by William P. Bell, opened on November 15, 1924, with landscaping designed by the Olmsted brothers., Date Built: 1924, Photo Source: Palos Verdes Homes Association, Citation: Palos Verdes Bulletin, December 1926, p. 4., PVH building permit #22.
"Loggia of Palos Verdes Golf Club."
"Loggia of Palos Verdes Golf Club."
Image shows view looking east from the triple-arched loggia entrance of the north façade of the Palos Verdes Golf Club. Several golfers are visible through the archway, with an iron railing and flagstone floor in foreground. The two-story, eleven-room Spanish-style clubhouse is located at 3301 Via Campesina in Val Monte. The golf course, which was designed by George C. Thomas Jr. and built by William P. Bell, opened on November 15, 1924, with landscaping designed by the Olmsted brothers., Date Built: 1924, Photo Source: Palos Verdes Homes Association, Citation: Palos Verdes Bulletin, August 1925, p. 2., PVH building permit #22.
"Looking across the barranca of the twelfth fairway"of the Palos Verdes Golf...
"Looking across the barranca of the twelfth fairway"of the Palos Verdes Golf...
Image shows view looking southwest across the barranca (arroyo) between the twelfth tee and twelfth green, visible atop hill. Several golfers are making their ways up the paths to the green, with the bridge from the twelfth tee visible at right. The two-story, eleven-room Spanish-style clubhouse, [not visible] is located at 3301 Via Campesina in Val Monte. The golf course, which was designed by George C. Thomas Jr. and built by William P. Bell, opened on November 15, 1924, with landscaping designed by the Olmsted brothers., Date Built: 1924, Photo Source: Palos Verdes Homes Association, Citation: Palos Verdes Bulletin, December 1930, p. 7., PVH building permit #22; two prints available.
"Looking out over the Malaga Cove District from a new home in the eucalyptus...
"Looking out over the Malaga Cove District from a new home in the eucalyptus...
Image shows view looking west across Malaga Cove, with the east façade of the Gardner Building visible in background center. La Venta Inn atop hills in background., Date Built: 1925, Photo Source: Palos Verdes Homes Association, Citation: Palos Verdes Bulletin, June 1925, p. 2.
"Miss Garner's Room" in Malaga Cove School, Palos Verdes Estates, California...
"Miss Garner's Room" in Malaga Cove School, Palos Verdes Estates, California...
Image shows interior view of a Malaga Cove School classroom with group of school children reading at their desks. The teacher, Gladys M. Garner, who taught third and fourth grades, is sitting at her desk in the back of the room. Malaga Cove School, located at 385 Via Almar in Malaga Cove, was designed by the architectural firm of Allison & Allison and opened on April 5, 1926., Date Built: 1925, Photo Source: Palos Verdes Homes Association, Citation: Palos Verdes Bulletin, June 1928, p. 4., PVH building permit #49; photo corners cut at top right, bottom left and right.
"Mme .Amelita Galli-Curci Enjoying the View from Her Estate Overlooking Malaga...
"Mme .Amelita Galli-Curci Enjoying the View from Her Estate Overlooking Malaga...
Image shows Amelita Galli-Curci (1882-1963), world-famous opera singer, standing on a hillside and looking westward with binoculars. Visible in background below is Malaga Cove and grove of eucalyptus trees. Mme. Galli-Curci and her second husband, Homer Samuels, whom she married in 1921, purchased a frontage of 288 feet on Via Rincon in Montemalaga, overlooking the golf course and Malaga Cove Plaza., Photo Source: Palos Verdes Homes Association, Citation: Palos Verdes Bulletin, January 1930, p. 3.
"Mme .Amelita Galli-Curci and Her Husband, Mr. Samuels", Palos Verdes Estates....
"Mme .Amelita Galli-Curci and Her Husband, Mr. Samuels", Palos Verdes Estates....
Image shows Amelita Galli-Curci (1882-1963), world-famous opera singer, sitting on a hillside with her husband, Homer Samuels (1889-1954) standing next to her, looking eastward from their land above Malaga Cove. Visible in background below is a partial view of Malaga Cove Plaza and grove of eucalyptus trees. Mme. Galli-Curci and her second husband, Homer Samuels, whom she married in 1921, purchased a frontage of 288 feet on Via Rincon in Montemalaga, overlooking the golf course and Malaga Cove Plaza., Photo Source: Palos Verdes Homes Association, Citation: Palos Verdes Bulletin, January 1930, p. 3.
"On the 17th Green, Palos Verdes Golf Club."
"On the 17th Green, Palos Verdes Golf Club."
Image shows view looking south across the golf course at the north façade of the Palos Verdes Golf Club. The two-story, eleven-room Spanish-style clubhouse is located at 3301 Via Campesina in Val Monte. The golf course, which was designed by George C. Thomas Jr. and built by William P. Bell, opened on November 15, 1924, with landscaping designed by the Olmsted brothers., Date Built: 1924, Photo Source: Palos Verdes Homes Association, Citation: Palos Verdes Bulletin, November 1924, p. 8., PVH building permit #22.
"Porch of the [Palos Verdes] Golf Clubhouse, Which Overlooks the Course."
"Porch of the [Palos Verdes] Golf Clubhouse, Which Overlooks the Course."
Image shows view looking west at the triple-arched loggia entrance along the north façade of the Palos Verdes Golf Club. Flagstone steps, retaining wall and pathway are visible in foreground. The two-story, eleven-room Spanish-style clubhouse is located at 3301 Via Campesina in Val Monte. The golf course, which was designed by George C. Thomas Jr. and built by William P. Bell, opened on November 15, 1924, with landscaping designed by the Olmsted brothers., Date Built: 1924, Photo Source: Palos Verdes Homes Association, Citation: Palos Verdes Bulletin, January 1925, p. 6., PVH building permit #22.
"Sam Kripple, Caddymaster, and the Caddies" at Palos Verdes Golf Club.
"Sam Kripple, Caddymaster, and the Caddies" at Palos Verdes Golf Club.
Image shows Sam Kripple (1900-1967) with group of young caddies on the lawn in front of the Palos Verdes Golf Club. Four young boys shoulder bags of golf clubs, as Sam and the group walking by a bench on the golf course. The two-story, eleven-room Spanish-style clubhouse [not visible] is located at 3301 Via Campesina in Val Monte. The golf course, which was designed by George C. Thomas Jr. and built by William P. Bell, opened on November 15, 1924, with landscaping designed by the Olmsted brothers., Date Built: 1924, Photo Source: Palos Verdes Homes Association, Citation: Palos Verdes Bulletin, July 1929, p. 7., PVH building permit #22.

Pages